Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Something has been poking at the back of my brain for a few weeks and this seems like the best place to write about it.

So I'm a huge fan of the generational history theories of Strauss and Howe. In the book Generations, they find some patterns that seem to have explanatory power for American history. They also make some predictions and one of them was something like a world war about 2025 give or take a few years. But they are careful to mention that it may not be a war, but it will have the same level of involvement and commitment. I'd been assuming this would be the west versus Islam for the past 25 years.

But something else has changed my mind. I've been noticing something that I can only describe as "the war drums beating" about climate change. I see a lot of articles in very different venues about how it is almost too late and how we need massive immediate change to prevent catastrophe. And this message seems to be catching a resonance with a lot of Millenials and the New Silent Generation. (New Silents are those born post 2003 or so.) There are a lot of votes in those groups with the number of voters there growing rapidly as the New Silents start hitting voting age. No concrete programs to deal with climate change have really been published yet, but there are potential techno-fixes including iron fertilizing the pacific and putting very fine aerosols up in the stratosphere. As the anxiety level grows over this issue, someone is going to come up with a plan to tackle it that gets mass acceptance.

So I think we are going to have a massive push to rein in carbon dioxide that is going to be at the level of involvement and expenditure that we would get in a world war.

How do we invest in it?
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.