Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 4
So I think that the founders were correct in thinking about this issue and trying to address it.

Of the original 13 colonies, which is all that existed at the time of the writing of the Constitution, none were as citified as the cities are today, and most were rural for the most part. Pennsylvania had Philadelphia, it’s true, and Massachusetts had Boston, but the Southern colonies were agriculturally based, Connecticut, and Rhode Island were seafaring (fishing), and you’re looking at Virginia and Maryland left over.

The so-called Founding Fathers could never have imagined the kind of unbalance that “rurals” bring to modern America (or vice versa, if you want to make the metropolitan side of the argument), and it is unlikely to ever change until the end of the empire, but it’s wrong, and it was *not* intentional.

Remember, this was the first democracy in almost 2000 years. They made it ups as they went along, and the first take was an utter disaster. The second take, the one we live under, still had all kinds of kinks and flaws - the 3/5 exception for slaves being one of the most notable, but also the Vice President being whoever got the 2nd most votes, the Senate being elected by State Legislatures, and a host more. Several of those issues have been corrected, but it is unlikely that “proportional representation” will ever invade the Senate, even though many states with bi-cameral legislatures have it in both houses.

Indeed, I expect the Electoral College, another well meaning blunder, will only disappear if enough states independently decide to follow the Interstate Compact and award the popular vote regardless of the state vote. Otherwise I see little hope of progress before the end of my life.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.