Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
So, I was stumbling through old posts, as I sometimes do, and found this:

Gyros City is new since we've been gone:
https://plus.google.com/114686179291523451415/about?hl=en

Chili, would you believe that it's closed already? Granted, we rarely get up to Denton (although we bought our car up there!), but still...

Our PCP is in Ft. Worth near Watauga, and syncspouse found a decent gyro place down thataway, but for the life of me I can't remember the name or exact location.

There WAS a good philly cheesesteak place in Grapevine off 1709, just across 114 from Southlake, but it ALSO closed! They have another location, but it's in Dallas just north of 635 (not far from the Greek church that we go to from time to time). A bit too far to drive just for a sammich.

Now that I work from home, I don't travel into Dallas much. Oh, and that area where the new Buc-ee's is, at 114 and 35W, is EXPLODING with growth! There's now an entire outlet mall adjacent to the Buc-ee's, and a ton of fast food restaurants, and there's more retail going up there as well, and I'm sure subdivisions just to the west are not far behind. They're widening 114 out that way. Thank God I'm not commuting anymore, as the traffic is likely to get much worse.

Also, I think they're FINALLY getting around to widening the Busy Street near our subdivision, which is kinda sad. It's only a matter of time before some of the large fields near us get sold off and developed into more housing, some health care facilities, and, (it'll happen eventually), More Retail. Because Dog Knows what Southlake REALLY needs is More Retail, FFS.

Oh, and the high school football coach is on Administrative Leave by the district as they investigate the program. It sounds like it's possibly about some UIL violations with an undercurrent of "personality conflict between the coach and the AD". So this might be one of those "honored in the breach" sorts of things. There could be more "there" there, and I guess we'll find out in the next couple of weeks. It's made the evening news here, apparently, with the usual comments about "scandal in Southlake" and how all the beautiful people now have to deal with an ugly truth and whatnot. Because yeah, that's me, the beautiful people. Pardon me, I have to go fart now.

My job still likes me, as do my wife and daughter, and I still love the family and generally like my job, occasional gripes notwithstanding. We bought some nice furniture pretty cheap at an estate sale (that's what they call "garage sales" here but we don't want to sound déclassé). We hope to get some repairs and maintenance done in the next few months and get some more furniture this year. I need to get more sleep. I bought a carpton of weight lifting equipment and have been doing that, although not this week because my left shoulder has been acting up (getting it looked at tomorrow).

Pretty much it. Oh yeah, and we'll ride through this market volatility the same way we did in 1998 (Long Term Capital Management's meltdown), the 2000 dot.com bubble burst, the 2008 housing bubble burst followed by Bear Sterns and then Lehman going under, and a few smaller ones in between. I'm really far more focused on our health than our wealth these days, because the former is FAR more important than the latter, although we're fortunate that the latter allows us more options in attending to the former.

-synchronicity
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.