No. of Recommendations: 0
So if we reach that magical $150K income mark and can't contribute any longer, whats stopping us from withdrawing the whole amount tax free from the Roth, placing it in a regular bank account, then using that same money to then open a traditional IRA?

For Roth IRAs, your contributions are after-tax and your withdrawals in retirement are tax-free. For non-deductible traditional IRAs, your contributions are after-tax and your withdrawals in retirement are taxed at your income rate. There is no reason to try to convert tax-free money into taxable income.

You can have more than one IRA account. Once you exceed the income limits, you can leave your Roth IRA where it is at and open a non-deductible traditional IRA.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.