Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
So, if you have a way to scan the whole market and identify companies that are in, say, the lower-left box BUT that are moving in an upper-right direction, then I think you may find some great stocks.

Well, what I have at the moment is basically the same limited and simplified screen, but I have adapted in the following ways:

1. The last <N> (or more) years have been outside the earnings power box;

2. The most recent year has been inside the earnings power box (including TTM), and satisfies a few other IETC checks such as RGD > 20%, debt repayment period < 5 years, and a valuation such that share price is between 0.4 and 1.2 times an FCF-based DCF, and not a financial company;

3. The overall progression of defensive and enterprising earnings has still been a staircase-looking function

Without any further checks, the resulting list looking for both 3 and 4 years of being "outside the box" is:

CAW
FFEX
N
IIIN
ATVI
MUR
NUE
PCR
SWK
AMPX
APSG
ALV
MTXX
JAKK
ALGOF
EON
ICAB
TTMI
USPI
NFP
PER
IPS
ASI
ICAB
OVTI
GMR

That's a pretty short list! Personally I'd stay away from steel and other metals or natural resources companies because of their very large, likely cyclical, rises in the last couple of years.

-Mike
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.