Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
So I'm working on my first project - a scarf (keeping it simple) - and I feel like such a klutz with the needles, I just can't quite manage to find a balance. How do you guys who knit a lot do it?

Be prepared to keep ripping it out, and ripping it out, and ripping it out. Consider this a practice project.

If you keep going, and keep trying, there will come a point when you fall into a rhythm. It becomes a habit; a kind of second nature.

Years and years ago I was making an afghan. My mother and I then lived on Long Island, and we had decided to go into NYC for the day. So she drove, and I sat in the passenger seat working on this afghan.

Three days later someone came up to me in church.

"A group of us had to go into New York on a business trip, and we were on the LIE (Long Island Expressway) and we drove beside you for twenty minutes while I waved and waved. And your mother kept driving and you kept knitting. And neither of you paid a bit of attention to me. I was making faces, and waving, and neither of you ever blinked."

But it was a very pretty afghan.

There comes a point where it becomes automatic. You know the pattern, you know what to do, and you just keep going with it. Eventually you'll be able to hold a conversation. I sat through weeks of therapy working on that afghan. I would discuss all sorts of personal matters and blithely keep working away.

And my therapist insisted on seeing the finished project, too.

It's just a matter of keeping it up. Eventually it will seem so easy that you'll wonder why you were confused.

Nancy
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.