Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
So, my hope is to narrow down some choices, give myself time to investigate, then sit back and watch what happens to those potential choices. From this money, we need to replace income of $475/mo.

$475/mo. on $165K is a bit less than 3.5% return. You can get a good bit higher than this today in CDs. PenFed is paying 4.5% on 5-year CDs, so you would get the income you need plus an extra $143.75/mo. (minus taxes) to add to your savings. It would take 6 years of 5% inflation for your monthly needs to reach what you will get from the PenFed CDs should rates remain where they currently are.

Getting the income you need does not seem to be a significant problem to me. Of course, rates could fall between now and when the money matures. I don't think this is likely, but you never know...

Acme
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.