No. of Recommendations: 3
So my question is does anyone know anything about Ameritrade..good/bad? Will I be better off with them than Fidelity? If I choose not to move, I probably may have to find a new advisor...ugh.

There are good and bad points about both, IMO. TD's trading platform is really nice - better than Fido's, IMO. However, about 2 years ago (I think), with not very much warning, TD significantly changed their list of no fee ETFs, and a lot of the ETFs that were previously free to trade began incurring commissions to trade. That annoyed Joel enough that he moved his accounts to Merrill Edge.

Fido has a nice selection of no fee ETFs and mutual funds that they sponsor, with expense ratios as low as 0%. However, Fido has, at times, not allowed me to buy stocks that they consider 'too risky' or 'too complex' - even though I completely understood the complexity, and the fact that the general market didn't understand the complexity made the stock a good buy. One example is JBK, a thinly traded trust preferred stock originally issued by Lehman Brothers that was trading at less than 50% of par. When Lehman went BK, the trust reverted to being a direct passthrough of the underlying issue (debt issued by Goldman Sachs), and changed from paying dividends quarterly to paying every 6 months. People thought that the Nov 2008 dividend payment had been missed because they didn't understand that the change had occurred. It now trades over par at about $26.75 and has never missed a dividend payment.

I would check TD's list of no fee ETFs to be sure that the ETFs you own in taxable accounts are on the list. If they are not, find out how much it will cost to trade those positions vs. how much it costs at Fidelity. Also, if your advisor has you in any Fidelity sponsored ETFs or mutual funds, especially low/no cost ones, find out what he's going to do about those. If he suggests that you sell before leaving Fido, and they are in taxable accounts, you will incur tax consequences, which you may not want to do. And if the equivalent funds that he will recommend when you get to TD have higher expense ratios, you probably want to question that, too.

AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.