Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
So, my question is, does it matter if mom writes me a check or I write myself one from this account in order to move some of the funds into one I solely control? Does the "custodian" designation restrict me from doing this myself, even though I've been of legal drinking age for some time? Are there any gift tax implications to transferring this money, even though it's been in an account with my name on it, and I've been paying the taxes on it's source and interest?

Hi, BrettKing, Since the account you have is a Custodial account, and you're listed as the 'minor' (even though you're not a minor anymore), it's my understanding that one of the custodians would have to issue a check from the account. However, even being a 'minor' on the account, the money has always belonged to you, so there would be no gift tax implications.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.