Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
So, now I want to learn about these silent/minor strokes that it looks like he had one of, and also am curious about recovery times and such for that

Diana, I responded earlier thinking that it was an old stroke. I'm a little confused now - are they saying now it is recent?

I'm not a physician; I was a nurse. Back in the day, I spent a lot of time working with stroke patients. Stroke (a.k.a. "CVA" or "cerebral vascular accident") is one of the big causes of medical admissions. Usually recovery depends on the cause of the stroke (a clot does different damage to a bleed) and the location. One third of stroke victims recover without any discernable residual damage. Sometimes, the damage can be quite "quirky", I have known an immigrant to lose all his English but to otherwise be unaffected (everytime he tried to speak English, it came out as Italian). Following a high speed crash, one British TV/motoring presenter reports liking a foodstuff he once hated; I think it is celery.

If it is a recent stroke, the doctors will look closely at his heart condition because that is a likely cause. It may be that he "threw a clot" and that his drugs may need tweeking/changing to prevent a repeat. (Did he have a hot, aching leg two months ago, when his symptoms started? He may have had a small DVT.) Or that his pacemaker needs adjusting, because an uneven heart beat can cause a small clot to form in the heart. If he is on blood thinners, then you are right to speculate that banging his head a couple of weeks ago could be a cause.

- Pam
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.