Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 6
So, Now that I have a 1099-B form that I didn't file, what do I do????

I don't know if it matters, but I'm carrying over (for the past 8-10 years) a relatively large loss... since I don't trade in taxable accounts anymore, I've been taking the $3000 yearly deduction...I still have 24K carry over...

First the lecture. Why wasn't there something in your 2012 papers showing that this happened? You deal with the tax implications of splits/spinoffs/mergers when they happen, noting your records. That way you don't find yourself trying to figure things out sometime down the road when you can't find anything. Your statement that you don't trade in taxable accounts any more can't be true or you wouldn't have gotten this payment. Maybe what you have just sits there, but that doesn't mean that you can totally ignore it.

Second the request. Please don't call your refund your "return." The return is what you file to claim your refund. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard to some.

Finally your hall pass. Make a note on your copy of your 2012 return to reduce your carryover by $55 (the proceeds in question) when you put it on your 2013 Schedule D. Don't bother with an amended return. This assumes that your state return doesn't require an adjustment.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.