Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 24

So, sell your Intel. Shed a tear for an investment (a dear silverback gorilla who's time is passing) that has rewarded you handsomely over the years. Then move on. Please, don't love Intel. Save that love for your spouse and children, who will be better served when you sell that Intel and buy something better.

Please define "better." I leave that risk/reward relationship to each individual investor with his or her own needs to consider. No I do not own Intel. I am young, a relatively new investor, and aggressive. I want an early retirement and Intel won't get me there.

Fast forward 20 years.

Let's say I am worth enough to retire quite wealthy. Now how does Intel stack up against a younger, perhaps less stable company, in terms of risk and reward? Again, to each their own.

A friend of mine owns Intel and sat thru today disappointed but unshaken. Has their gorilla status been removed? By whom? AMD with their 15% market share?

It's easy to find faster growth than Intel. Just screen for hypergrowth revenues with your favorite stock screener. But these numbers do not speak to sustainability.

I could purchase GE today and feel very confident in my long term safety. I feel I could do the same with Intel, and at a higher rate of growth. I'd love to own some Disney and Wal Mart too. Talk about stocks I could sleep well owning any night, no matter how catastrophic the correction. The growth rates might not tickle your fancy, but you could be nine-nines certain the company would prosper long after your life on this planet. That's a helluva minute risk given the reward.

PC sales are not in hypergrowth and haven't been for a long time. But this isn't exactly the automobile industry we are talking about. Owning shares in the leader of a still growing space, with the technology to branch well beyond that space, does not seem a bad deal to me.

Don't pronounce the body dead prematurely.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.