Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
So since we don't rent our properties, this would imply that house swaps may not be a taxable event. That would change if we rented them out.

The issue that I see with this is that there is already an exception built into the tax code for renting out your personal residence, which is the 14 day or less exemption that Peter mentioned. There could be an argument that allowing someone else to use your house for more than 14 days is a rental that needs to be reported, since you are receiving something of value for that use.

I would also suggest that you pay close attention to a part of the article that you quoted: If two parties trade computers of equal value, for example, this may not be taxable – especially if neither party is in the business of selling computers.

If your house would rent long-term for, say, $2000 a month, and the house that you are staying in would rent long term for something other than $2000 (be it more or less), then it's not really trading something of equal value, so it's not a true barter.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.