No. of Recommendations: 0
So the first thing I'd do if I were you in your shoes is call the FSBO and say you are represented by a real estate agent, and ask if they will cooperate.

Or if you're in a really hot market, you can just write up an offer that contains a clause saying "$3000 will be paid by seller to XYZ agency at close" (or something similar).
Your agent can write that into the offer for you. He might be a little nervous about it because:

A> FSBO may not want to take an offer where they pay commission - however most don't really care - they just want to maximize the $ they walk away with, and that may still be your offer.

B> your agent will have to probably do a little more leg work. Lining up inspections, answering the sellers questions and making them comfortable that everything is going OK, etc.

I bought a FSBO, with an agent on my side - as part of my offer it said he'd get a flat fee of $X.

So the sellers probably looked at my offer and the other offers and said: "$170K from this person, or $218K but a $4k commision from that one... Dear, I think we'll go with the $218K. We still get to walk away with $214K, and their agent will take care of some things for us."
(numbers altered slightly, but you get the idea.)

Print the post  

Announcements

Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.