No. of Recommendations: 7
So the ongoing cost of free tuition for everybody would undoubtedly be much higher than Bernie anticipates.

At first glance, I cannot fathom why the disfuctional 23 have become the party of pander. I mean, its as though there is some kind of cryptic contest to see who can come up with the most outrageous political ideas...the more outrageous, the better.

But then if you stop and realize, on this next election cycle, the millennials, age 22 to 37, will roughly equal the baby boomers, age 54 to 72. According to Pew Research Center, in 2012, the boomers and older represented 49% of the electorate. In 2020, this group drops to 37%.

https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/essay/an-early-look-at-the-2...

The problem with the millennials is they tend not to vote in mass as the boomers do, so apparently, the party of pander feels it necessary to scream, shout, wave their arms and spew obscenities to get their attention and then once gotten, to promise everything for free, all paid for by millionaires. The more free goodies the more motivated the millennials to get out and vote...or so goes the reasoning.

And 'free college' will mean public colleges will be flooded with students, many of who are not there for an education they are working to complete, but are there for other reasons. I mean, why not be there if someone else is paying for it. Public colleges will start looking like high schools, with all of the problems of over crowded high schools. Parents, in their quest to protect their kids from that, will be moving towards private schools, over crowding them and sending private tuition through the roof.

However you slice it, this is a very, very bad idea.

BruceM
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.