Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 24
So the ownership interest net of buybacks and the Berkshire sales during that time has increased by 0.14%

Doesn't sound like that much.
But, as Apple's market cap is currently about $2.31 trillion, the 0.14% difference is $3.34 billion.

That's not the value (or price) that Berkshire has gained due to Apple's buybacks, but it's the size of error you'd get using an incorrect Apple share count.

If Apple really wants to buy Apple shares, they should buy them as cheaply as possible. Pick the time and method that best meets that goal.
Near as I can figure, the best way at the moment would be to buy Berkshire stock.
Two years ago at end 2018, one Berkshire share cost 5.18 Apple shares. Now it only costs 1.68 Apple shares.
Sure, they'd get a lot of other business interests along with their shares, but they probably wouldn't lose money on that stuff.

I wonder what the Berkshire to Apple price ratio will be in a couple of years...I wouldn't be surprised with 2.55
That's what you'd get with Berkshire up a moderate 15% and Apple trading at 22 times trailing earnings up 30%.

Jim
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.