Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
So, to be clear, if I have $10K in 1099-misc income and $2K in expenses, I could contribute $2K as an "employer-side" contribution and get the deduction? (10k - 2k, * 25% rule).

Almost. The 25% is calculated on your income after taking into account the deduction for the SEP contribution. We can do some algebra, or you can just take my word for it that the actual SEP contribution works out to 20% of your self-employment income.

I would NOT be able to contribute "employee-side" since I am already maxed on a ROTH?

Your Roth does not enter into the picture here. Or, more correctly, you need to deal with the SEP first, then see if you are eligible for a Roth contribution. Making Roth contributions has no effect on your SEP.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.