Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

So true.

Until this guy actually started shooting people, he hadn't done anything that would have been out of the ordinary for half my friends from high school to have done.  (Except for going to college, that is)  Many of my old friends had just me as their only friend.  Several have tried or threatened suicide.  Many were abused physically or sexually.  A couple of them had spent time in a psychiatric hospital and one was  habitually violent.  There was a dark time when I could have easily been characterized as a threat to society.

I would like to point out that suicide is not always direct and deliberate.  Many people kill themselves by wreckless behavior because they just don't care.  An old girlfriend explained her smoking and wreckless lifestyle in this manner:  "Maybe I want to die but I don't have the guts to do it all at once."  

By pure luck or divine intervention, all of my friends have survived in some way or another, neither killing themselves nor killing others.  A few of us have thrived, while others are still working on fixing the mistakes of the past.

Be a true friend.  It is just as bad or worse than not having friends to find out your "friends" don't  really care about you.  When your friends need help are you there?  Or are they on their own when they lose their job and their car breaks down?  What about when their girlfriend of 2 1/2 years just dumped them for someone else?

Just because somebody has things in common with a mass murderer doesn't mean they will turn out to be one.  The world is full of troubled teens and we need to reach out to them.  But don't judge teachers, administrators, etc. for not expelling someone because they have issues.  While I don't know what causes someone to do something so unconscionable, don't deny opportunity to the other 99.9% of troubled individuals--they don't need any more reasons to hate humanity.

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.