Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 8
So we are 5 days into our European vacation, and everything is going very well. I suppose the weather could be a bit better. It’s cool and drizzly here in Padua. But the attic apartment where we’re staying is lovely and bright, with stunning views all around.

We landed in Paris (CDG) and took the fast train from there to Lyon. If you’ve not been to Lyon (and we had not), I urge you to go. In some ways, I prefer it to Paris—and I love Paris. Lyon is much calmer, easier to walk around in, far less crowded and touristy, yet packed with culture, history, recreation, and outstanding food and drink. The Old City is delightful, Tet d’Or ranks among the best urban parks in the world, and the views around and from Fourvière outshine those of Montmartre, in my opinion.

After 3 nights in Lyon, we took the fast, clean tram to Lyon’s airport and flew (for 50 Euros each) to Venice, where we landed yesterday evening. We are actually staying just outside of Venice, in the historic town of Padua (Padova, in Italian). Our 4-room apartment is maybe 200 steps from the Piazza dei Signori and has a lovely view of the Duomo. I think I would be very happy staying here for months and months. We’ll get into Venice, I’m sure. But for now, we’re delighted to be just where we are.

We’ll be spending 4 nights in all here in Padua and then taking the train to Siena, where we will spend 5 nights.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.