Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
rocket powered lincoln with wings
considered the greatest car stunt in history . Before attempting this stunt he had already broken his back 6 times.

http://www.filecabi.net/video/invcarjum03.html

Powers was not the original stunt driver for that...the guy who the stunt was first concieved for backed out after the first time he saw the car, and realized intuitively there was no way it could make the distance as built....can't remember his name at the moment.

There was always a controversy about what happened, but I think the "official" explanation was that the recovery chutes deployed accidentally and ruined the car's aeros (such as they were).
Print the post Back To Top
There was always a controversy about what happened, but I think the "official" explanation was that the recovery chutes deployed accidentally and ruined the car's aeros (such as they were).

Man, that thing made some serious thrust, but it sure didn't look like a long enough burn to hit 280 mph to me. The big problem was that as soon as the tires left the road, the car became a very draggy airplane with no tail. It was probably unstable about all 3 axes, but pitch instability was the first to manifest. The fact that the parachutes deployed saved the car from continuing to tumble, allowed it to land right side up, and absorbed most of the considerable kinetic energy.

There are a lot of reasons why no airplane has ever looked like a Lincoln Mk IV. Dare devils would do well to consult several engineers, physicists, and aerodynamicists before trying stuff like this.

Neil
Definitely one of the dumbest stunts ever conceived. The driver was lucky things didn't go worse than they did.

"Dare devils would do well to consult several engineers, physicists, and aerodynamicists before trying stuff like this."

I guess we couldn't call them 'dare devils' then. lol Most dare devils from the past seem to have used the 'luck, hope and pray' strategy. Which is why many of them have been 'darwined' out. lol

BJ