Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
So what do you recommend doing about the high levels of toxins found in farm-raised Atlantic salmon (the vast majority of salmon available in the Eastern US)? Might that weigh against the beneficial effects from Omega 3?

My understanding was that because of the grain based feed given the farmed salmon, there is a predominance of omega-6's rather than omega-3's. Tasty, but not much else.

It's almost impossible to find wild salmon from the Pacific Northwest in Boston where I live.

Have you tried Trader Joes? I picked some up recently in our stores, (the Philadelphia area,) and I'm pretty sure we have the same supply chain as Boston. They are in the freezer case, but well wrapped and have no freezer burn. Rather good. I don't know about locations in Boston proper, but there is a store in Cambridge, on Prospect St. IIRC.

Another source we use is canned red wild salmon for salmon patties. We make ours with oat bran instead of bread crumbs. Yummy.

Sorry to contribute to your question so late.

IP

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.