Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 10
So, what you're saying is that I need to sit down with TurboTax and get an idea of my income limit for the year, then meet with a CPA to come up with an actual plan?

Because darned if I want to work hard to get my income up only to pay income taxes on the extra and capital gains tax on the house profit, leaving me with less money that if I had cut back on the work I accepted.

There's something wrong in your logic here. Even if you find yourself above the 15% limit, you will only pay 25% on the excess taxable income above the limit, not on all your income. Additionally, you will pay capital gains tax (0% or 15%) only on your share of the gain from the sale of the house, not on the amount of cash distributed to you.

While you might be able to pay less tax over the two years combined by altering the timing of your income, it is exceedingly rare to find a set of circumstances where you will end up with less money in your pocket because you have more income. This isn't one of them.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.