Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
So what's going on with this board? It seems everyone checked out for summer vacation and forgot to come back...

It seems that everyone was in agreement about LBYM, but discussions polarized on investing vs. paying off the mortgage.

We're fast approaching New Year's resolution time and I'm wondering what important (or not so important) financial lessons people have learned this year?

I haven't made a New Year's Resolution for decade!

What I learned was that it is possible for me to stick with my investment strategy in spite of market activity, even though it goes against the feelings, and so far when people tell me what had been a good investment just a few years ago, my asset allocation plan was leading me in that very direction, so I am building up confidence that I am indeed doing the right thing, even in face of overall portfolio loss.

Assuming that everyone reading this board has also read the works of Dr. Stanley, what influence has his research had on any financial decisions or directions you have made or are planning to make?

I have read The Millionaire Next Door but not The Millionaire Mind. I was surprised as I read The Millionaire Next Door just how many of those things fit me--not everything, but the majority did. It didn't really give me any life-changing insight, but acted more of a confirmation that I was indeed living correctly: using "artificial scarsity" in my case (instead of budgeting) to help me live below my means, avoiding consumer debt, buying used cars instead of new since used cars take care of my transportation needs, reasonably inexpensive clothing, buying some things in bulk where it makes sense for me to do so.

I am planning to continue living below my means, investing as much as I can and according to my investment plan, and try to avoid picking up expensive tastes or expensive hobbies.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.