No. of Recommendations: 0
So, while I have no data, I would expect that SSDs are likely to be more reliable than rotating disks of the same capacity.

The problem with SSDs is that they have a limited number of erase-write cycles before they die. I understand that the latest ones do all sorts of fancy things to reduce the number of such cycles. For one thing, that's why they come in oddball sizes like 240GB instead of 256GB. There's actually 256 (or more) physically onboard, but the difference is reserved for logically replacing SSD pages that have failed. Pretty wierd to think that an SSD has a fairly powerful CPU onboard itself.

Unknown how much actual lifetime a typical consumer grade SSD has. I think we'll find out when suddenly they all start dying in droves. Read lifetime is very long, no wear there. It's only writing (actually page erasing) that is the wear factor.

An 8TB SSD goes for about $1500. An 8TB WD Red spinning rust drive is about $150. Big price difference. For $450 you can put 3 of them in a RAID-5 and get virtually unlimited MTBF. As of yet, SSD is no competition from the prie aspect. You can write that sucker all day long forever. Write the SSD all day long for very long and it will fail hard.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.