Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
So who here actually has done genetic testing?

I've done genetic testing for genealogical purposes. I already have 1700 people in my family tree. I discocered an elderly man in Florida who shares my family's original surname. He knew very little about his family history except that they came from a town less than 20 miles away from my family's. Since the surname, Pieniazek, is fairly rare among Jews, we decided to both take the test to try to figure out if we're related. To my great surprise and disappointment we aren't.

As a side benefit, I am registered now in the database at www.familytreedna.com which allows me to find genetic matches among a large number of other people. There are several people in that database who are close to me genetically, but not close enough to expect that we are related within a genealogical time frame. Civil records and surnames were adopted in Poland after the Napoleonic wars, in the 1820s. Most people didn't have family names, and births marriages and death weren't recorded, before that time. So for most people that's as far back as the family history can go. If someone shares an ancestor with you who lived before 1800 or so, you'll probably never find out.

Elan
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.