Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
So why do we even have a police force then?

To enforce the laws. You'll note that this is a far different thing that protecting people. Granted putting criminals behind bars does protect people from future crimes committed by said criminals (while they're behind bars at least, which is often for far less time than they should be but I digress). However, you'll also note that someone had to be victimized for the criminal to be put behind bars. Law enforcement is, by definition, reactionary. That doesn't do you much good if a criminal is beating down your door now. You're on your own at that moment... your choices in the US are to be armed and able to defend yourself or to be unarmed and hope for the best. In the UK your choice is limited to being unarmed and hoping the Bobbies arrive before you are hurt or killed. That's a pretty lousy scenario if you ask me.

There has to be some kind of controls, or everybody will be running around killing everybody because you bumped their cart in the grocery store, or whatever. It is insane out there and getting crazier every day as more and more people buy weapons and carry them everywhere.

Odd that you think that EVERYBODY would be running around killing everybody because their cart was bumped. I've had my cart bumped many times while I was armed. I've had my CAR bumped (not lightly) in the city of Detroit (not the nice part) while armed. In neither case did I draw my weapon, let alone shoot anyone. As it happens the vast majority of people don't react with violence to what are actually minor annoyances, even if they're armed and more than capable of doing so. This suggests your concern is either projection (perhaps you're afraid that you would react with violence if someone bumped your cart while armed?) or a grave misconception that has somehow been implanted in your head.

I'm surrounded by armed people all day long. Armed cops at that. Listening to some of the threads around TMF lately you'd think I was liable to be shot if I sneezed in my office at the wrong time (cops are dangerous you know!) As it happens the only danger I'm in is someone changing the password on my desktop if I leave it open and walk away. Likewise most of the people I know outside of work have CPL's here in Michigan and are invariably armed while I'm with them. I've never been particularly concerned about any of them attacking me (unless it's to pull a prank on me or something like that). These are all people I opt to spend time with, to expose my family to, etc. Do you honestly think I'd do that if they were truly dangerous people? No, not at all. A big part of my job is to document who the dangerous people in society are... "has a CPL" has NEVER appeared in the description of any of the people I've documented for some odd reason.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.