Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
So why doesn’t Tesla do the same, to figure out correct speed limits (since its speed limit database is riddled with errors)?

My Model 3 detects speed limit signs and updates the maximum speed for autopilot accordingly and detects traffic lights usually before I can. It doesn’t always recognize directional traffic lights (left turn green arrow). But this is on regular autopilot, not the full self driving beta, which is apparently much better.

This is in the US, so maybe it’s different in other countries. I’ve also never noticed that the speed limits are “riddled with errors” though.

Tesla’s mapping appears to be as good as Waze in figuring out the fastest route based on current traffic conditions. Maybe they use the same data. I’m sure if they wanted, they could leverage cameras to more accurately measure traffic, but that might consume far more cellular data and computing capital to make it worth the effort.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.