Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
So would I, this fund is -17% on the past 12 months. Talk about paying for expertise! Its performance over the past ten years has been an average of 13% with some very high returns in the late 90's skewing the average.

Thanks to everyone for your advise!

PP

I think you have a legit complaint regarding the lack of an index fund...but I don't think you have realistic expectations under ANY circumstance.

You might be surprised to know some statistics about the S&P500 index...especially compared to the numbers you post for a mutual fund you have access to...

According to Morningstar, VFINX is down 19% over the last year (compared to 17% for the unnamed fund in your plan)...and VFINX has averaged a return of 12.67% over the last 10 years (compared to 13% for your fund).

Are you sure you want to complain about the performance of the fund in question? I doubt it. The fund's performance is not the problem...the lack of an investment choice you would appreciate is the problem. Keep putting pressure on the plan administrator and your HR department to add an index fund. In the meantime, continue putting AT LEAST the matched portion of your money into your 401k and invest it in the best options you have.

ACME
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.