Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
So you are ruling out the two areas that have the only chance of actually addressing the problem. Creating more hoops for otherwise law abiding gun owners to jump through is just feel good legislation that accomplishes nothing to affect the problem in a positive way

Do you have any evidence of that, or is that just your opinion?

I ask because the following link demonstrates that the vast majority of mass shootings are by people that have legally obtained their weapon(s). Now we can certainly delve into the mental evaluations of gun owners, but I am fairly certain that most will shun that as a violation of privacy. Personally, I would definitely support a need for mental evaluation or clearance as part of gun ownership and a regular recertification as time goes by. However, I know many will not support that.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/476461/mass-shootings-in...

And I say "positive way" because some of the proposals do have impact but in a negative way by making it harder or impossible for regular citizens to defend themselves and their families from criminals who won't obey whatever gun laws are passed anyway.

In my opinion, this is the red herring that gun advocates like to lean on. When is the last time any gun owner on this board had to use their weapon to defend themselves or their families? My guess is that the answer is close to never. Owning the gun makes you "feel" safe.

In the case of the latest shooting, the armed police officer was killed by the gunman. Obviously his weapon did little to keep him safe. Maybe the man arrested at a Publix this week was only trying to grocery shop while feeling that he could defend himself if necessary with the 10+ weapons he had on him.

So, I have heard your objections but little in the way of suggestions.

If you don't believe there is a problem, I feel sorry for you. If you do believe there is a problem and you want to ignore it with nothing but "thoughts and prayers" for the victims, I feel sorry for you. But please stop clinging to the defense that you "need" weapons to defend yourself when I am fairly certain that the majority of gun owners have never used their weapon to actually defend themselves from anything.

Do you have any suggestions? Or just objections?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.