Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=57004

Yup, my other MB. I hope we can all ignore, for those of us who have problems with it, the title of the thread. And for those who want just to read the OP, here it is:

"I haven't been online for awhile because brother #3, Mark, is in the hospital in critical condition in ICU. He is on life support right now.

He has ( like all my brothers) Muscular Dystrophy and has always been the worse off of the lot. He is also the brother that if he didn't have bad luck he wouldn't have any luck at all. About every 18-24 months he gets a cold, that turns into pnumonia that lands him in the hospital and it takes him 2-3 months to recover from.

He has been in since Thursday and late Friday he went from being just sick with broncitis to full blown pnumonia to aspirating and moved up to ICU in serious condition. They had to zap his heart five times to get it to beat correctly again. His condition stablized for a while but on Monday, it was apparent that his lungs were collapsed and he needed to be vented t oxegenate him until a bronchial-something (roto-rootering his lungs, in laymens terms) could be done to see if the procedure could clear out the lungs.

The procedure was done and it was discovered his lungs are clear. His body pretty much is slowly dying and either today or tomorrow my mom will have to make the decision to pull the plug. ( Even if there was a chance at him surviving, his quality of life as he knew it would be over forever.) His is heavily medicated because of pain and to keep him comfortable. ( He also suffers from severe back pain.)

My mom wavers from being strong and preparing for what she has known will come to not one but all of her natural born children to, well, being a mom. I cannot even fathom the pain that must be in her heart. She has the backing, blessing, support of me, an aunt ( her sister) and every family member to pull the plug. It is the only merciful thing to do. Last night I was talking to her and while she dreads doing it, I told her that maybe Mark will pass away on his own before she has to do it for him.

I am asking anyone who reads this to just say a quick prayer for a quick and painless death for Mark and for strength for my Mother and my surviving brothers ( who will probably be in the same situation sooner than later)

Thanks."
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.