Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I receive social security disability benefits and also contribute to a traditional IRA. I have Pub.590 IRA's and cannot figure out if I need to complete worksheets in Appendix B of this publication. On Page 9 it says "Complete worksheets in Appendix B if ALL of the following apply: You received social security benefits. You received taxable compensation. Contributions were made to your traditional IRA. You or your spouse was covered by an employer reirement plan." Okay, so I received the social security benefits. But I myself did not have any taxable compensation, my husband did. We are married and filing jointly so do all these conditions have to apply just to me or to either of us? Secondly, it says "contributions were made to your traditional IRA" Does this mean if I contribute to my trad. IRA I have to complete the worksheets, but if only my husband contributes to his IRA we don't have to? I hope I have explained my question completely. All help is appreciated. Thanks.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.