Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
We have run into something we did not know exists. Both of us had professional careers. My wife is 11 years younger. I delayed benefits until I was 70. My wife is less than a year from age 70 also. While checking with social security, she was advised her monthly benefit would be hundreds a month less than the amount the SS website's calculator shows. Apparently the Maximum Family Benefit is involved.

The national SS office told us to work with the local SS office on this specific issue. Covid rules prevent/restrict walk-in visits and it takes hours on hold to get a human at the local office.

The examples of the Maximum Benefit we have found deal with families that have disability and/or children's benefits. Neither of these apply to us.

What I am looking for is information of this matter that applies to a married couple with only retirement benefits.

Among our questions:
#1 Is the oral information that my wife's benefit will be below her maximum benefit because I have a benefit correct?
#2 When I die will my wife's benefit increase to her full benefit amount?
#3 Would our total benefit be different if I had the restricted benefit and my wife had her full benefit? (My wife's full age 70 retirement benefit is somewaht larger than mine.)
#4 Can we "do over" in the sense my wife gets her benefit and mine is the restricted benefit? (This is possibly beneficial since it is likely she will live several years after my death.)
#5. If we divorced, would our total monthly benefit be higher?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.