Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I received the following question from an acquaintance:

My wife...worked for a while for the county clerk in Oregon. She did not pay into social security but the county did for her. Now that she is retired and is drawing a small monthly amount the Federal Government is taxing her 2/3, that's right, [a] 66% tax rate....Any suggestions for a [way] around this?

While I'm flattered that he would think me especially knowledgeable about either Social Security or taxes, the fact is that I haven't a clue. But I would like to find out, so that I may be of some assistance (if any is possible).

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.