Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Soon your government checks won't be in the mail.

The government has settled on the dates when millions of people will no longer be able to get their social security benefits checks from the postman.

New recipients of benefits will have to accept paperless payments starting on May 1.

Those already on social security have until March of 2013 to switch to direct deposit or a debit card.

http://www.newschannel6now.com/Global/story.asp?S=13719439
Print the post Back To Top
You mean they still use paper checks? Gosh, I can't remember last time I deposited a paper check other than the odd personal one. Ten years ago maybe?
I can't remember last time I deposited a paper check other than the odd personal one.

Do some contract work for the Fool <g>. I'm lucky that my bank has updated their ATM's and now I can deposit checks without a deposit slip. Since I rarely write a check nowadays, I used to run out of deposit slips long before I had to reorder checks.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Why wouldn't everyone have direct deposit? I would not want that check in my mailbox or trust it to the USPS.

Birgit
Why wouldn't everyone have direct deposit? I would not want that check in my mailbox or trust it to the USPS.

1) when DD was first invented, there were a lot of glitches (a co-worker of mine only go about half his checks ..the others went to someone with same name at same bank) ... some of us still skeptical

2) some people are trying to live 'off the Grid' --no checking account

3) ??

(but yeah -- too many stories of people stealing checks from mail-boxes for me to want a check)
"Why wouldn't everyone have direct deposit? I would not want that check in my mailbox or trust it to the USPS."

Lots of welfare cheats don't want any kind of record. Lots of deadbeat dads and mom's don't want any bank account where funds can be removed. Lots of deadbeats who owe money don't want bank accounts that can be found and judgements gotten from.

Banks don't provide 'free' bank accounts in most areas. You have to maintain a balance, and many folks don't have the cash to leave in it.

t.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Why wouldn't everyone have direct deposit?

Believe it or not there are people who do not have checking accounts. I guess their best option is the debit card.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Back when I was a controller we had a senior manager who refused to use direct deposit. He wanted to "hold the check in his hands". Not sure why he felt that way. He would take the check home and his wife was supposed to deposit it. One pay period she forgot the deposit part but kept paying bills out of the checking account. 7 NSF charges later he discovered it. After that I was able to convince him to let us direct deposit his pay.