Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Does anyone make their own Soda with this or another machine? Pros and Cons please. I am looking to make my own to reduce waste and find new and better flavors.

BB
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I just buy LeCroix canned seltzer and mix it half and half with my favorite fruit juice (usually cran-pomegranate)

LeCroix has so little flavor your flavor choice doesn’t matter. Voila! Fizzy low cal low sugar soda.

Good way to try before you buy.
I do occasionally, but their flavorings are gross and full of sugar or artificial sweeteners, so I only make plain soda water. My grocery store's brand of soda water is cheaper per liter. Also, the soda stream bottles have to be replaced after a year or two and do not make a liter of water.

I drink lots (and lots) of La Croix water of various flavors and recycle the cans.

Wessex
Also, the gas cartridges last for 25 or so bottles and cannot be purchased on-line because they cannot be mailed. If you do get one, make sure that there is a local source from which you can get the cartridges.

I am really sorry I bought mine and consider it a complete waste of money. I think I calculated that I needed to make one liter of water every day for about two years before I broke even compared to buying the one liter bottles of store brand soda water from my grocery store. Of course, that does not take into account the recycling needed for the grocery store bottles.

Wessex
I figured out years ago that what I want from soda is the fizz and not the flavor and I've mostly been drinking plain soda since then. I priced out a Soda Stream last year and concluded it wasn't cost effective for the amount I drink. I buy plain soda in cans and recycle the cans. A 12 pack will last me more than a month.
My wife drinks a couple of liters a day, she adds Zipfizz for taste.
Until recently I'd refill the canisters myself, about $2.00 per bottle.
For us, especially with inexpensive refills, it's inexpensive soda water.
TL; DR for the OP-
Have had it for a LONG time and enjoy having it.

primarily - we use ours for just the carbonation.
I used to *love* the diet grapefruit flavor (very much like Fresca), but the formulation changed about 5 years ago, and now, meh.

the gas cartridges last for 25 or so bottles and cannot be purchased on-line because they cannot be mailed.

Oh- but they do! just not from soda stream.

Getting refills was the hardest part, even the stores near me almost never have the carbonators in stock.
sodasense.com is a refill-by-mail, and they will take any brand of carbonator.
Yes- they are a little more expensive, but 2 wasted trips to stores that don't have what I want, is worth a dollar or two.

the soda stream bottles have to be replaced after a year or two and do not make a liter of water.

I have had mine for 10(+?) years and have never replaced the bottle.
I have heard one is supposed to, but do not know why.
The bottle (in my house) is used to keep water cold for carbonating, and for nothing else.

Once carbonated, the seltzer is transferred to swing-top glass bottles (like for grolsch beer).
In the unlikely event that a flavor is added, it happens in the glass one is drinking from.
I do occasionally add mineral drops for a "mineral water" - or squeeze and actual lime, but that's about it.

peace & fizz
t
We have a SodaStream and love it. We get the replacement cartridges in the mail from SodaStream.com and they send 2 at a time and send a return label. We send back 2 when they are empty. Someone said they will not mail them -- well, they DO mail them. We drink a lot of carbonated water -- not flavored, so it's cheaper than buying carbonated water. We bought it on Amazon.

A couple of notes -- get the one that includes the 2 glass bottles. They are nice. People who bought the plastic bottles, seem to be complaining about a musty smell after a while... Our glass bottles are easy to clean.

Also, we are not sure if it our kitchen cabinets, but this thing is about 1/2 inch too tall to fit on the counter and under one of the upper cabinets. We found a place for it, but would rather have fit it tucked under the upper cabinets. So, you might check the height of it, and then see where you would want to store it.

Some of the "experts" say you should take your body weight and multiply it by 67% to get the number of ounces of water you should drink in a day. So, if you weight 150 lbs x .67 you get 100.5 oz. per day. There are variations on this formula - That's just one.

Good luck. We are really glad we have the soda stream and use it every day.

Footsox
No. of Recommendations: 4
Don't waste your money. Take it from someone who owned a Soda Stream for a few years. Even if you buy a CO2 adaptor, just do the math. I did, and I figured it was as cheap to buy even brand-name sodas from the grocery. Other than the novelty value of making "fresh" drinks, these machines offer you no cost advantage, in fact probably cost more!
I like my Pellegrino with some lemon and a couple drops of liquid stevia (glycerate).

A case of 750ml bottles from Costco is a cost I'll happily bear and we've got several lemon trees that produce year round so there's no shortage of that.
I have a SodaStream and drink 2-3 liters of seltzer per day. I like it. My husband and kid do not like it. The flavors that came with it were awful, and we hated the others we tried from the company. Eventually I remembered liking DaVinci sugar-free syrups, and that's what we use now. I use them in my seltzer, DH puts them in his iced tea (and maybe in his Coke Zero, I haven't asked), and DD makes "kiddy cocktails" with Sprite Zero and sugar free cherry syrup, which comes from a different brand.

This is not exactly what I consider "healthy," as it is highly processed stuff with a lot of random chemicals in it. This is the one lasting change Covid has made to our diets (along the with discovering "Doritos peas":

https://www.amazon.com/Bhuja-Snacks-Crunchy-Seasoned-Gluten/...

Not the healthiest choices, but not the worst either. I've been thinking a lot about healthy choices this year. Here's the latest blog post about it, in the context of the immune system because someone from my home town asked about it.

https://whatididto.wordpress.com/2020/09/27/the-immune-syste...

ThyPeace, eat protein and lots of veggies, floss your teeth, get sleep. Go outside and play. Smell the roses.
No. of Recommendations: 3
"I have a SodaStream and drink 2-3 liters of seltzer per day"

For some strange reason, I am getting the urge to sing a chorus of "Let's
have another cup of coffe, and let's have another piece of pie!"

Howie52