Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
In 1994 I purchased a house for $125,000. Yesterday, I sold the house for $231,000. This means I have about a $106,000 capital gain that I now have to pay taxes on.

I know there are lots of rules and strategies. I am in the military and my wife and I only make about $50,000 combined yearly income.

I've considered giving $10,000 to each of my 2 children. How does one prove those gifts? Does it have to go into a bank account designed for them and left there?

There are also tax rules concerning purchase of new property...

Does anyone have a name for a good tax advisor?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.