Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm 27 and have started a sole-proprietorship alongside my day job. It is a computer consulting company, basically contracting with someone to do his technical work. I have a few people who do the work for me, and I pay them. So, from my simplistic point of view, I send an invoice, get paid, receive an invoice from my "subcontractor" and pay him/her. The company is set up as a sole-proprietorship (filing a schedule C at the end of the year), and I have a couple of questions with regards to taxes and transfers between the company's income and my personal expenses.

As the company becomes more and more profitable, I have the money sitting in a checking account. I would like to use that money for personal use, basically receiving "pay." I don't want to pay myself a wage, since it seems like that would double the taxes paid on this money. I've been thinking of starting an investment account for the company, I noticed that Ameritrade will let you start a sole-proprietorship account.

Or, can I simply take this as income for myself straight out, being taxed with the Schedule C, rather than the standard income tax?

My big problem is that I'm not even sure where to start looking for information about my current situation. If someone could point me to a place to start and a place to continue my learning.

-Corey Haines
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.