Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi Fools,
I am strongly considering starting a solo Roth 401k retirement account. However, I am finding that very few places offer this. For instance, my brokerage is Fidelity, and they do not offer this as an option.

So, I'm thinking of using a third party administrator (TPA), that would set up the solo Roth 401k. Fidelity would hold my assets, I would trade stocks, bonds, etc. with Fidelity, but the TPA would initially set it all up for me. My question is, how does one choose a TPA - is it simply based on fees? Can anyone recommend a good TPA, or a place that, say, ranks TPAs???

If a TPA goes belly up -is this trouble? One company I spoke with today said that, since a TPA is just an administrator, and my assets would be with Fidelity (probably not likely to go belly-up), then it's not a huge concern.

Anyway, I would appreciate any thoughts.


Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.