Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 22
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Nice catch!
Thar she blows!
http://www.averagjoe.com/puzzles/fishnet.html

57 throws caught me a camel-fish
No. of Recommendations: 1
finally slowed it down, put on my shades to help with the glare and cranked out a 54. Baby got BACK.

-n8
How? I can't see it at all.

That's too frustrating.

tngirl
"How? I can't see it at all "

Do you have Java enabled?

~aj
I meant that I can't figure out where to start. Did the others actually make a picture in some 50 some odd moves? Is there some trick I don't know about? The little pics just hop around all over the place.

Congrats on your *Best Ofs* - dang good replies!

tngirl
No. of Recommendations: 4
I meant that I can't figure out where to start. Did the others actually make a picture in some 50 some odd moves? Is there some trick I don't know about? The little pics just hop around all over the place.

Congrats on your *Best Ofs* - dang good replies!

tngirl

When it comes to AJ puzzles, cheaters always win and winners always cheat.

BK
When it comes to AJ puzzles, cheaters always win and winners always cheat./i>

I guess that means everybody BUT ME is a cheating winner? ;-(

What was the picture?

tngirl
No. of Recommendations: 4
What was the picture?

tngirl

It's a picture of a not very attractive woman's crotch from behind, covered in Daisy Dukes-style denim, and flanked by a fishnet top and fishnet stockings.

BK

PS - But very tastefully done.
Thanks - that's what I thought it was, but I couldn't get those fishnets to line up.

tngirl
No. of Recommendations: 2
Thanks - that's what I thought it was, but I couldn't get those fishnets to line up.

tngirl

Try using her crotch and ass as a hub and work outward from there.

BK
PS - But very tastefully done.

OCD: Butt very tastefully done.
No. of Recommendations: 7
Did the others actually make a picture in some 50 some odd moves?

Yep. IIRC, its a female in some provocative pose. But then again, that probably describes all of the pictures in the "Solve This" series. So it may not be much help.

I meant that I can't figure out where to start. ... Is there some trick I don't know about? The little pics just hop around all over the place.

Step 1 - Click on the little box above the picture that says "reveal". This will place a blue "X" across every piece that is not placed correctly. Initially, that will be every piece in the puzzle.

Step 2 - Click on a piece to select it, then click on another piece to make the two trade places.

Step 3 - Repeat step 2 until all pieces are in the correct place (they don't have blue "X"s across them). If it's a typical aj puzzle, you will be rewarded with a congratulatory sound (assuming your computer is capable of sound and you have the sound turned up to a listening level).

The "cheaters" might do a couple of things. They might take however many moves are necessary to solve the puzzle and then, with the knowledge of the completed puzzle, re-solve the puzzle to try to decrease their score. Or they can look at the HTML source of the web page to determine the direct link to the picture, and then use that as a guide to solving. All of them take time to carefully examine the pieces to determine where to place the pieces.

Any puzzle can be solved using the same number of moves as there are tiles. That is just a matter of carefully placing each piece correctly the first time you place it. The lower scores depend on getting a lucky shuffle of the pieces so that there are a number of opportunities to swap two pieces and have them both end up in the correct place. The die-hard fans who consistently get low scores probably need to solve the puzzle several times to find a good shuffle allowing a low number of moves.

--Peter
Any puzzle can be solved using the same number of moves as there are tiles. That is just a matter of carefully placing each piece correctly the first time you place it. The lower scores depend on getting a lucky shuffle of the pieces so that there are a number of opportunities to swap two pieces and have them both end up in the correct place. The die-hard fans who consistently get low scores probably need to solve the puzzle several times to find a good shuffle allowing a low number of moves.

Thank you. I haven't done a puzzle in eons, much less a computer version - and I got so frustrated.

tngirl
No. of Recommendations: 3
The "cheaters" might do a couple of things. They might take however many moves are necessary to solve the puzzle and then, with the knowledge of the completed puzzle, re-solve the puzzle to try to decrease their score. Or they can look at the HTML source of the web page to determine the direct link to the picture, and then use that as a guide to solving. All of them take time to carefully examine the pieces to determine where to place the pieces.

Or they'll find one piece they're sure is a top, side, or corner and move it around until they successfully place it. Then start over knowing where that one piece goes and work out from there.

I've done that on some of the really hard ones, but still don't get a "lowest" score.*

ßillƒ

*I Suck Even When I Cheat
Winning scores submitted:

51 - 1

53 - 2

54 - 3

57 - 1

Link to the bonus puzzle was E-mailed to those with the above scores.
Thanks for your participation.

~aj
No. of Recommendations: 3
TA DA! and solved with only 214 moves. Damn, I wasn't expecting the thunder thighs. Having once been a model, the proportions I was trying to do were way off! I could not get the top thigh to match. My eyes are crossed from the nets.

Thanks for the pointers - I would have never figured it out. That was kinda fun....for an old woman.

tngirl
No. of Recommendations: 6
Hi BK,

Try using her crotch and ass as a hub and work outward from there.

That has ALWAYS been my modus operandi!

Any puzzle can be solved using the same number of moves as there are tiles.

Actually, one less move - because you can't have exactly one tile out of place.

Not many of us actually do that very often, though.
64 :(

Don't think that will be a winner
One thing that may help you is to click the reveal button. This doesn't solve the puzzle for you, but it does put a blue X on all the wrong pieces so when you put a piece in the right place the X goes away and you know that piece is right (then you don't have to worry that you think you put a piece in the right place when really it is the piece you swapped with that went to the right place.)

That helped me a great deal. Another trick is to find a piece that is recognizable (like the face) and keep trying it around till the X goes away telling you where it goes. Then click Mix to start over. Find that piece and put it right where it belongs and build from there.

The last trick is one I don't have patience for. Keep doing it over and over till you memorize where basically all the pieces go and wait till you get a random spread that happens to give you lots of two-fers (where you swap two pieces and they both end up in the right place)
Any puzzle can be solved using the same number of moves as there are tiles. That is just a matter of carefully placing each piece correctly the first time you place it.

Actually if you do that you will get n-1 since the last move has to place two pieces at the same time.
Any puzzle can be solved using the same number of moves as there are tiles.

Actually, one less move - because you can't have exactly one tile out of place.

Actually, to be more precise, for all puzzles that are randomly mixed (with no piece in the correct position after mixing), the range of the minimum number of possible moves is:

Given:
N = number of pieces
X= number of moves

Range: N/2 <= X <= (N - 1) -- for even number N

Range: N/2 + 1 <= X <= (N - 1) -- for odd number N

However, the odds that one can get a "lucky" mix such that the lower bound of the range N/2 or N/2 + 1 occurred randomly is:

For even N: 1/(N - 1) x 1/(N - 3) x 1/(N - 5)......1/3 x 1/1 = Odds

For example, the odds for a 60 piece puzzle would be 1 in 2.92 x 10^40 (a number with 40 zeros), an unimaginably HUGE number. Good grief.

You are more likely to win the Lottery six times in a row and spontaneously melt into a puddle of liquid gold than for this to happen to you. Go with the upper bound probability. ;-)

and late too.

oh well....

jC