No. of Recommendations: 0
Some additional thoughts...

At the other extreme, you have the free will where you are completely aware of why you're doing something. That's dead-on-arrival. The parole board study I mentioned earlier demonstrates that that's untrue at least part of the time. Given that you don't really know always what's going on, you have to at least consider the possibility that you never really know why you're making any choices. Libet certainly isn't helping the cause of free will here. So, there should be at least a great deal of doubt that this type of free will exists, and I would argue that it does not.

I think animal evolution can be seen as moving from strictly mechanical or instinctive behavior that is non-conscious to that which is increasingly discretionary (freer) with choices becoming more dependent on conscious deliberations. The human brain is therefore a combination of both, with the conscious mind capable of imposing itself to varying degrees on non-conscious reflexes and instincts. At one extreme are flight/fight responses or simple tasks like responding to a stimulus (e.g., Libet-type experiments) where most of the action is non-conscious. When you walk for example the brain is making countless number of decisions (length of step, pace speed) that your consciousness for the most part is unaware. Near the other extreme is financial planning for retirement, which is mostly dependent on conscious deliberation.

So from my point of view, the observation that there are subconscious or non-conscious factors that influence conscious decisions is not surprising. What I don't see the need for is to assume these factors are so pervasive that one should believe there is no free will.

Of course, it naturally follows that AlphaGo also has free will

Suppose after its next update AlphaGo did achieve the capacity for conscious free will. What would happen? How would it behave differently? IMO, the conscious AlphaGo would occasionally behave outside the expectations of its program in a nonrandom manner. For example, it might purposefully lose some games when playing small children who it thinks might cry easily. Nonrandom indeterminacy.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.