Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Someone tried to charge $2,300 at Payless shoe store in Topeka KS now I'm on the hook for this Fraud charge . Should I close my account completely because I can't afford the minumum payment on it.

I been workiing OT but it limited amount the company is offering a week.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 39
Someone tried to charge $2,300 at Payless shoe store in Topeka KS now I'm on the hook for this Fraud charge .

What do you mean you're "on the hook for this fraud charge"? Have you told American Express that the charges are fraudulent? Have you disputed the charges with American Express?

If you haven't - that's the first thing you need to do. There should be direction on your statement for how to dispute a charge. You usually have to do it in writing, although you may be able to do it over the phone.

You do need to call American Express and tell them that your card has been compromised, and they will probably issue you a new card, with a new number.

Should I close my account completely because I can't afford the minumum payment on it.

Closing a credit card does NOT take you off the hook for a balance owed. In fact, closing a card with a balance on the card is probably a good way to get your interest rate jacked up to the highest possible rate for your card. After you dispute the charges with American Express, they will take the charges off of the card until they finish their investigation. Unless they determine that you made the charges (which I assume is unlikely, since you didn't make the charges, right?), you will never see those charges again.

AJ
No. of Recommendations: 6
My experience with AMEX is they are very customer oriented which is part of the reason we use their card as our primary credit card.

We've disputed charges, some we've made but faulty product was delivered and they've called us about fraudulent charges. We've been very happy with their service.

Charges can be disputed by phone, mail, or on-line. Good luck.

Jack
No. of Recommendations: 5
Someone tried to charge $2,300 at Payless shoe store in Topeka KS

==============================
Are you sure the transaction went through?

I've been wondering how anyone could rack up $2300 at payless shoes.

I'm thinking maybe it's a typo.

What if it was really $23.00 and mistakenly put in as $2300.

We have an old cc transaction machine. We have to manually put in the number. I've put the number in wrong. I usually catch it before the transaction submits and reinter, but a couple of times over the years it's gone through.

It's always been found before the customer leave and the transaction is reversed.

I don't know if the customer got a possible fraud notice or not.

I hope you get this cleared up.

Jean
No. of Recommendations: 3
Received letter stating that they are reversing the charge and canceling my card and issue new card I told the fraud customer service rep I don't shop that store at all.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Good to hear it. I'm glad things worked out so well.

Nancy
No. of Recommendations: 4
Someone tried to charge $2,300 at Payless shoe store in Topeka KS

If you charge $2300 at the Payless shoe store in Topeka KS do you then own the store?