No. of Recommendations: 2
Some hard numbers:

Lease Ends: 8/31/14
Lease pmt: $260/mo (approx 8 more pmts)
Residual Value: $9500

Value today, per Edmunds: 11k (trade in) up to 14k private sale
Buyout quote as of today (direct thru finance co): $12k

Again, disposition fee will be around $900 if I return the car

Is there a fee built in there? Your remaining lease payment plus RV = $11,580.

Assuming you have a sales tax less than 9.5% and you can buy the car at lease end for $9500, then the sales tax is cheaper is a cheaper "fee" than the dispossession fee. Given the fact there is a large spread between RV and trade-in this seems like a good candidate to buy out.

But since you want this fast an now, let's look at it this way. If another dealer is willing to get you out of your lease, and they end up with the same $12,000 bill for a car they would have taken at $11k in trade-in, then from their position, they've laid out $1,000 to get you into your next car. Meanwhile you've "saved" ~$2,000 in future lease payments on this car you don't want/need/like/whatever-you-have-to-tell-yourself but given up ~$2,000 in hypothetical private party resale value (hypothetical b/c you don't own the car right now and it doesn't sound like you have the time/desire to do private party anyway).

There's some creative accounting in there but it looks like buying out now means you have to go private party, and your max payout is $2,000. Otherwise getting a dealer to take it over seems doable though I would expect for them to make you pay MSRP (minus any OEM incentives)...expect heavier than usual resistance to haggling. This means your next lease will need a great money factor and high RV to be worthwhile since your purchase price is not going to be stellar. Just make sure they aren't rolling fees from your lease buy-out into the new car...I've never done this so I don't know if that is something that happens or not.
Print the post  

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.