Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Some questions as I try to get my financial house in order...

How long should I hold onto the following items:
cancelled checks
bank statements
credit card statements
utility bills
pay stubs

Also, any ideas on the best way to track spending to math it up to my bank statements. I'm got a pretty firm grasp on what checks are going out.... but what about an easy way to track ATM and debit card usage.

Dear Mad Hatter,

Our Editorial staff must have been reading your mind:

http://www.fool.com/taxes/2001/taxes010831.htm?ref=foolwatch?ref=prmppf

There is another great resource for tax questions. It is our Investment Tax Guide, available in FoolMart. Although tax season is over, 95% of the information in the guide will be useful in the future. I can get you (or anyone reading this message) a big discount on a 2001 Tax Guide if you would want it around to answer these types of questions. I use mine all the time; it is sometimes so handy to have a book on the shelf you can refer to.

As a special promotion for customers who write in, we're currently offering it for just $10 - or 33% off the regular price. The promotional discount can be found only through the following link. It's our way of saying thanks for being such a loyal Fool. :)
http://www.foolmart.com/shopping/Product_View.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MF030_02&PID=51G48H6G4E&REF=csbo03105

As for the ATM and debit card usage, if you are using a software such as Microsoft Money, Quicken (I use Quicken) you might be able to download these transactions direct to your bank register. It's a very painless, and mindless way to keep track of things.

Fool on!

Karen Kosoy
TMF Karen
Print the post  

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.