Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 7
So I took my profits in ADNT this week given the market's unfavorable reaction to their news, and I have put money in health care for the first time in a long time.

UNH - yes, you all have probably owned it, it's done great, I know lots of smart people in the name. They continue to execute and raise the dividend, not much for me to add here.

Also, I have purchased a small basket of 3 small-cap biotechs, one of which is in the news today w/r/t pricing. I think the pace of innovation in the sector is going to continue to increase, not decrease, and I think there are some overlooked and unloved and beaten down names where there is little-to-no coverage or analysts have written the whole firm off after one failed trial.

I screwed the pooch buy not buying ALNY end 2016/last year when it was cheap and I'm not making that mistake again this year. It's biotech so it'll be volatile and these names could go up or down 40% at anytime but I like my risk-reward ratio, about 3-1 and I'm starting small and will scale up due to the aforementioned vol in the sector.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Care to mention the 3 small cap biotechs you bought?
No. of Recommendations: 1
Care to mention the 3 small cap biotechs you bought?

Just wait 30 days and run a search of top performers in the sector over the past month, you'll find them there.

good luck,
dan
One is up 6% today and another is up 25% today, so, like Dad always said, 'Better lucky than good.'

The other is flat-to-down, what a piece of garbage....sheesh no profits in 3 hours...dog with fleas.
RCKT up 37% since I started buying it 6 trading days ago. Crazy.
RCKT up 37% since I started buying it 6 trading days ago. Crazy.
True to what the acronym appears to read ... (RoCKeT.)
send us more ideas!
No. of Recommendations: 2
PTCT is another rocket, up 12% today and 30% since I bought it. Absolutely crazy.

Needless to say I didn't get to build the full positions I wanted.
how do you pick them?
30 second explanation...
No. of Recommendations: 4
Networking, talking to smarter people than me i.e. industry experts in biotech, looking at the holders/de novo investors for 'smart money,' etc.

I'm never going to be an expert on biotech, so if I want to own some, I have to play follow-the-leader to some extent. Given that these are all small-cap biotech you have to be willing to take the risks vs the rewards of innovation.

We all know how hard this sector can melt down when it does. It's not like I'm putting 8 or even 4% in these names. Wish I had...
PTCT up 15% on earnings, RCKT was down yesterday on earnings [after a nice runup].
RCKT up 50% and PTCT up 68% since op. Wish I had gotten to buy full positions. Still long and strong.
PTCT up 26% today on good SMA news and an upgrade from RBC.
and all the way back down today. Lol wtf biotech investors?!?
No. of Recommendations: 2
PTCT up 15% on earnings, RCKT was down yesterday on earnings [after a nice runup].

Almost one year later, PTCT is up 171%, and RCKT is up 82% on my initial buys and 109% on my adds.

PTCT's rally just moved it past MSFT for 7th place in my pa.