Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi exwa,

Took this from a post by tmidiot:

It reminds me of one of my favorite verses from the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, the 12th Century Persian poet/mathematician:

The mighty Mahmúd, the victorious Lord,
That all the misbelieving and black Horde
Of Fears and Sorrows that infest the Soul
Scatters and slays with his enchanted Sword.

I've been reading Syed Maududi's commentary on Al-Baqarah verses 30-39 and quoted hereunder:

"The story of the appointment of Adam as Allah's Vicegerent on Earth, of his life in the Garden, of his falling a prey to the temptations of Satan, of his repentance and its acceptance, has been related to show to mankind (Adam's offspring), that the only right thing for them is to accept and follow the Guidance. This story also shows that the Guidance of Islam is the same that was given to Adam and that it is the original religion of mankind. 30 - 39"

From the FAQ:

"The Prophet Muhammad

Arabic: “The Praised”. Regarded as the last prophet to be sent before the end of the world. A descendant of Abraham (Ibraheem) through his eldest son, Ishmael (Isma'il). He is not ever regarded as divine, hence the Muslims' offence at being termed Muhammadans. Among the community of prophets, he represents totality, the fullness of human nature as intended by God. The other prophets are regarded as having manifested particular perfections, for example, Jesus is viewed by many as being the most perfect example of the spiritual life “in this world but not of it”, while Moses is the exemplary Lawgiver. The Prophet died on June 8, 632 AD and is buried in Medina."

My thoughts are these: New Testament Christianity holds (at least what I learned) that Adam was the anti-type of what God wanted when he created Man. All the sins of Man, from Adam to Jesus, were washed away by Christ when he died. Hence, Jesus Christ is the type of what God wanted when he created Man. However, and this is confusing, if Muslims are practicing the faith it would seem they are rejecting Jesus' example of perfection in lieu of defining further the form of worshipping God as practiced by Adam and continued under the Patriarchs, Kings and Prophets of the Old Testament. Now, neither intellectually nor spiritually do I have a problem with this because I recognize, depending upon each individual of faith or non-faith there is but one path, many choices, but still one path. That path is determined by the individual through his or her freedom to choose.

I am using http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/001.qmt.html for my reading and have read the warnings.

For you from the above link:

"SHAKIR: In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.
SHAKIR: All praise is due to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds.
SHAKIR: The Beneficent, the Merciful.
SHAKIR: Master of the Day of Judgment.
SHAKIR: Thee do we serve and Thee do we beseech for help.
SHAKIR: Keep us on the right path.
SHAKIR: The path of those upon whom Thou hast bestowed favors. Not (the path) of those upon whom Thy wrath is brought down, nor of those who go astray."

And a question. What is meant by: "SHAKIR: Alif Lam Mim."?

fc

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.