Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

Look like I have a headache on my hands, if not worse. I have just recd a notice from the IRS saying I owe a big six-figure amount on my 2000 return! Apprently an employer who paid me a four figure amount for pension (as a result of a merger), in the year 2000, added two zeroes to the amount when they reported it to IRS!!

As a result it seems I got close to half a million. I can only say, I wish I did!

Well, does anyone know if the only way to sort this out is to hire an advisor/attorney? The notice says I have the option to respond myself, but I don't want to screw up things further.

Thanks in advance,
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.