Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Someone in the audience brought up Farnham's Freehold - Barnes said merely 'Don't get me started.'

What I find very, very weird is the notion, widely accepted among sf fans, than Farnham's Freehold is a racist work. Steve Barnes has likely thought about this more than I have; but in the absence of any comments from him:

Isn't Heinlein using the classic "Jonathan Swift" like tools to satirize (in a particularly savage way) that trappings of racism? It works in two ways. One, when the victims of the treatment are white, you get a little bit of shock factor to 1960s-era audiences. Two, the dominant black society is doing exactly the same things to their subservient white population that whites had been doing for a couple hundred years to their enslaved black population. Separating families, dividing the enslaved group into "house" slaves and "labor" slaves, selective breeding, castration, etc etc etc. I don't see how the novel is racist: a virulent anti-racism polemic seems more the mark.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.