Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Someone on another board mentioned putting their fiance on the mortgage and others brought up tax implications of doing that before being married.

I wouldn't sweat that. I'm not even sure you can "put someone" on the mortgage. But you can change the deed on your house to put it in both of your names. It will make no difference to your taxes either way, it's more of a decision that the two of you will need to make. Some couples prefer to work on a "that's hers, this is his" basis, and others prefer to have everything as ours. That topic is one worthy of discussion long before the wedding day. And as a result of those discussions, you'll know whether you need to change the deed on your house after the wedding day. I wouldn't make any changes before then.

Far more important is to consider that you will be considered married for all of 2006. So when you start your planning for that year, make sure that you combine all of your tax information when you do your tax planning. You'll certainly want to visit your income tax withholding from your jobs early in the year. Putting that off can have some nasty effects, like having to make a large payment with your tax return that includes penalties for not paying in enough. It's much better to consider that and change your withholding early in the year.

--Peter
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.