No. of Recommendations: 2
Well today marks the 70th birthday of Janis Joplin.

I was listening to her song Turtle Blues the other day for the first time in years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi_b0EGLHRk

She was very underated IMO. As I said before, part of it was that her bands were not particularly strong. Morrison had the backing of three top shelf fantastic musicians on every song they recorded. Janis did not. In the years since both of their deaths, The Doors were able to maintain and enhance their legacy and smartly introduce their music to new generations of listeners. While Joplin's music has remained available, it has not had the boost it needed to regularly keep it in the public eye and bring it to modern audiences.

Anway, happy birthday Janis. We miss you and apreciate all that you gave us in your 27 years.

BG
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-GFqhCq2HA

I'll see your Turtle Blues and raise you a Mercedes Benz
Last clip was truncated. Try this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-4AheUl6ls
I don't know if she was underrated, maybe with different age groups...I was young when she came out and I thought it was cool with her raw singing, free living and hard partying persona.

It was truly unfortunate that she and other talented musicians used drugs and alcohol to the extreme and that led to their early demise.

LD
No. of Recommendations: 3
<It was truly unfortunate that she and other talented musicians used drugs and alcohol to the extreme and that led to their early demise.>

From all I have read about her, the ballsy facade covered some very deep emotional insecurities. She was mocked a lot growing up in Port Arthur Texas. When she attended a college in her home state it was said that she was voted the ugliest guy on campus.

I can see how things like that can create a major chip on ones shoulder. I can also see how it can prevent one from enjoying their talents and the love of their audience with severe bouts of self doubt. The drugs and alcohol which were very present in the 60's culture were an easy crutch. The only difficult thing to figure out is why some like her never made it out of the era while others like say a David Crosby or a Keith Richards are still around 40+ years later. Crosby had the added risks of firearms and paranoia to go along with his often drug addled mind.

Is it simply fate? Karma? Dumb luck? Is it someone upstairs looking out for them?

This time of year I am reminded of the loss of Buddy Holley. It still amazes me that his huge influence on popular music through his many production innovations, his unique vocal style and dozens of hit songs that everyone knows all occured within his short 22 years. I wonder what else he could have accomplished. I read he was very interested in producing a record with Ray Charles. I reflect back on how if his original plan to fly his touring band had not been altered, we would have never had a Waylon Jennings. Buddy produced Waylons very early recording sessions and gave him the inspiration to just be himself. Waylon's gain became the Big Boppers loss. Tommy Allsups gain became Richie Valens loss.

I don't know how people like Jennings and Allsup processed something as life altering as that event. I have written before about my dad talking (very limitedly) about his experience on Omaha Beach in WWII. He grossly oversimplified his survival while his fellow soldier next to him died by saying "I zigged and he zagged". For all the volumes that have been written about life and death, maybe that line cuts through everything and says it simplist but best.

Allsups and Valens radically different fortunes turned on the flip of a coin. Valens won and Allsup lost. Ironically many years later Allsup opened a club in Texas called Tommy's Heads Up saloon. Allsup is still alive today at 81.

BG

Wolvie thanks for the Mercedes Benz link.

How about one more? This one from Tom Jones tv show in 1969. It is Little Girl Blue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVpDOIPx_sY
As an interesting side note, Jimmy Johnson - the former Cowboys/Dolphins HC was her HS classmate. He was asked abppout her during an interview and he said that she got teased a lot.