Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Something else I just remembered which may help Neuromancer or others make a better decision than I did.

I was an HCE and my contributions exceeded some sort of threshhhold resulting in my 401K having some after tax money in it. I was offered the option of withdrawing the after tax component and only transfering the pre-tax value to the TIRA. Like an idiot, I told them to transfer it all. So I ended up with a tax basis in the TIRA and the blessing of a form 8606 for the past 18 years.

18 years ago, you were required to take your after-tax contributions either in cash or roll them into a T-IRA and create basis. The IRS did not clarify the ability to roll after-tax contributions into a Roth until 2014, through Notice 2014-54 https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/rollovers-of-after-tax-...

Since that clarification, you can roll after-tax contributions directly into a Roth IRA at the same time as rolling the pre-tax earnings and contributions into a T-IRA. It is also possible to roll pre-tax money directly into a Roth IRA, although not all plan administrators like to do that, and some may require a 2 step process, into a T-IRA and then from the T-IRA into a Roth IRA.

That said, back in the 90s, I took my after-tax contributions in cash, rather than create basis in my T-IRA.

AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.